Youth Educator Grant Program
NCR-SARE recognizes that youth programs are a way to introduce new and exciting farming and ranching options to youth, parents, and community members. The Youth Educator program provides opportunities for youth to learn about Sustainable Agriculture (farming and ranching that is ecologically sound, profitable, and socially responsible). Youth Educator grants support projects by youth educators that encourage youth to try sustainable practices and explore sustainable agriculture as a viable career option.
- Youth Educator Grants are competitive grants for educators to provide programming on sustainable agriculture for youth.
- $4,000 maximum.
- A sample of the call for proposals is available throughout the year, but you should always consult the current call for proposals when applying.
- The annual portfolio of youth educator grant proposals is reviewed and awarded on the annual timeline.
- Scroll down to view a video or PowerPoint presentation about completing a proposal for NCR-SARE’s Youth Educator grant program.
- Take a look at grants that have been previously funded.
Funding decisions are made by NCR-SARE’s regional Administrative Council, after receiving feedback from a review committee. The Administrative Council is a collection of farmers, ranchers, university representatives, nonprofit representatives, Extension and NRCS people, other government employees, and agribusiness representatives. This group sets research priorities and recommends projects for funding.
NCR-SARE can provide grant applications, reports from other projects, lists of funded projects, or other sustainable agriculture information.
Before writing a grant proposal, determine a clear project goal and explore previous research. It often helps to contact NCR-SARE, local agriculture groups, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and/or Extension educators to share ideas and invite participation.
Youth Educator Grant Program Timeline
Timelines are subject to change. Always adhere to the due date listed in the current Call for Proposals.
- Mid August: Call for Proposals Released
- Early November: Proposals Due
- February: Funding Decisions
- Spring: Funds Available to Recipient
Youth Educator Grant Program Presentation
This 2020 Youth Educator Grant Program presentation was prepared by NCR-SARE. In this narrated presentation with audio, Jean Andreasen explains the Youth Educator grant program and the process for applying for this grant.
A unique aspect of NCR-SARE is our personal contact with grantees involved in the program. The Youth Educator Grant Program has a program liaison, Joan Benjamin, who can answer your questions about the program.
- Joan Benjamin, Farmer Rancher Grant Program Coordinator and Associate Regional Coordinator, 573-681-5545, BenjaminJ@lincolnu.edu