About the Professional Development Grant Program
The North Central Region SARE (NCR-SARE) Professional Development Grant Program supports state professional development programs and competitive grants for training agricultural professionals.
Professional Development Program (PDP) competitive grants emphasize training agricultural educators in extension, Natural Resources Conservation Service, private, and not-for-profit sectors, using farmers as educators and addressing emerging issues in the farm community. Applicants are educators who often represent but are not limited to, Extension, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and non-profit groups. PDP competitive grants are awarded for state and multi-state PDP projects that emphasize cross-agency training, using farmers as educators and addressing emerging issues in the farm community.
- Professional Development Program awards up to $90,000.
- Projects may last up to 36 months.
- About 10-12 projects are funded each year.
- A sample call for proposals is available throughout the year, but you should always consult the current call for proposals when applying.
- The portfolio of research grants is reviewed and awarded on the annual timeline.
- Take a look at grants that have been previously funded.
- Review the projects funded in the last grant cycle.
Funding decisions are made by NCR-SARE's regional Administrative Council, after receiving feedback from a review committee. The Administrative Council is a collection of farmers, ranchers, university representatives, nonprofit representatives, Extension and NRCS people, other government employees, and agribusiness representatives. This group sets research priorities and recommends projects for funding.
Before writing a grant proposal, determine a clear project goal and explore previous research. It often helps to contact NCR-SARE, local agriculture groups, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and/or Extension educators to share ideas and invite participation. Use this website or call 612-626-3113 for resources to help you write your proposal.
Timelines are subject to change. Always adhere to the due date listed in the current Call for Proposals.
- February - Call for Proposals Released
- April - Proposals Due
- August - Funding Decisions
- October - Funds Available to Recipient
A unique aspect of NCR-SARE is our personal contact with grantees involved in the program. Contact Rob Myers, the Professional Development Program Coordinator, if you have questions about the competitive Professional Development Grant Program.
- Rob Myers, Ph.D. Regional Coordinator (Chapter 3) and Director of Professional Development (Extension) Programs, 573-882-1547, email@example.com
Recent Grant Projects
Click on the links below to access lists of funded project information. You can also view lists of projects that have been funded in your state.
|Professional Development |
List of 2021 Professional Development Program Projects
|Research and Education |
List of 2021 Research and Education Projects
|Youth Educator |
List of 2021 Youth Educator Projects
|Graduate Student |
List of 2021 Graduate Student Projects
|Farmer Rancher |
List of 2021 Farmer Rancher Projects
List of 2021 Partnership Projects